Download detailed Instruction for preparing select hull materials
- Instructions for preparing aluminum hull boats
- Instructions for preparing steel hull boats
- Instructions for preparing fiberglass hull boats
- Instructions for preparing wood hull boats
How Do I Prepare The Surface And Apply The Paint?
Always follow all product label instructions when painting your boat. Observe the following additional tips:
- Remove old coating to original surface if the current coat is
cracked, loose, blistered or peeled, or if you have a build-up of more
than four coats of bottom paint.
- Remove any and all surface contamination prior to painting, including dewaxing new fiberglass hulls.
- When removing paint with a chemical paint remover, sanding and
cleaning afterwards is recommended for best results. When sanding:
always use proper protective gear, sand with the grain, use bronze wool
(steel wool will cause rust), sand with medium pressure and do not use
high RPM sanders. Always clean surface after sanding.
- As with any coating system, your paint will survive longer and better if the surface is properly primed and/or prepared. Applying bottom paint over a previous coating of bottom paint and topside paint over previous coat of compatible topside paint is acceptable, if properly prepared as described here. New or exposed hulls should be primed for best results before applying antifouling or topside paints.
The following guidelines should be followed for best results with your paints:
- Only paint when the right conditions are present:
- Temperature; 50-85° F (10-30°C)
- Humidity: greater than 65% may slow drying
- Do not paint in direct sunlight or high winds
- Painting surface must be dry and free of all dust, oil. rust, contaminants and loose material
- Prime as necessary.
- In any painting job. applying two thin coats produces a better
finish than applying one thick coat. Heavy coats may not dry properly.
- Allow a minimum of 24 hours between coats. Sand lightly/clean between coats.
- Thin only as necessary to achieve a smooth coat that flows easily. Can be thinned for spray application.
- Compatible with and can be applied over, any other topside paint on the market. Nevertheless, always apply to a test patch area to ensure adhesion and compatibility.